Performance Assessment: Opening Doors to Deeper Learning
October 09, 2019
- Presented by:Chris Gareis
- Type of Event:Workshop
- Registration Fee:$210.00
- Registration Deadline:October 04, 2019
- Cancellation Deadline:October 04, 2019
- Venue:Williamsburg Doubletree
This workshop will help teachers and administrators move beyond thinking about alternative assessments to the SOL tests as simply another accountability measure and instead broaden their understanding of how performance assessments and tasks can be developed as part of a balanced assessment system. During the workshop, we’ll examine the qualities of effective performance-based assessments as well as explore their potential to enhance instruction, provide deeper learning, and assess the outcomes outlined in the Profile of a Virginia Graduate (POVG). The workshop will provide participants with opportunities to address the integration of balanced assessments, review tasks and rubrics using the VDOE Quality Criteria Tool, and explore the implications of and for deeper learning that performance assessments offer.
The following questions will guide the presentations and discussions during this full-day workshop:
- What is balanced assessment and why is it important for school divisions and classroom teachers?
- How can school divisions and classroom teachers make performance assessments part of their balanced assessment plans?
- How well is our division progressing in implementing performance assessments?
- What makes a quality performance assessment and why is it important to ensure quality?
- How can we create, critique, and strengthen our performance assessments?
- How can we integrate the 5 Cs for academics within our performance tasks?
- What is the quality of the performance assessments currently used in our division?
- What is deeper learning and why is it important for teachers and instructional leaders to understand it?
- How can performance tasks promote deeper learning experiences and POVG outcomes, such as critical thinking, creative problem-solving, and effective collaboration?
- How effectively are we currently using performance assessments to achieve these outcomes?
- What does it mean to teach for deeper learning?
Christopher Gareis, Ed.D., is a Professor of Education at the College of William and Mary in Virginia, where he teaches courses in curriculum development, instructional leadership, and classroom assessment. He began his career as a high school English teacher and varsity soccer coach. He also taught middle school English, science, and mathematics and subsequently led two different middle schools as an assistant principal and then as principal. Additionally, Dr. Gareis served as an assistant to the superintendent, with responsibilities in strategic planning and facilities design. In 2001, he joined William and Mary as Associate Dean, in which role he directed the teacher preparation program and developed a network of partnership schools and clinical faculty in support of teacher preparation and school counselor education. As a faculty member at William and Mary, Dr. Gareis has worked with schools, school districts, state departments of education in the areas of classroom assessment, instructional leadership, curriculum development, teacher evaluation, teacher compensation, strategic planning, and mentoring.
Learn more about Chris Gareis here.
The workshop runs from 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Registration and breakfast begin at 8:00 a.m.
Lunch will be served at noon.
The workshop fee is $210 for each participant.
Registration fees include breakfast and lunch.
Free parking and internet are also provided.
The registration deadline is Wednesday, October 4, 2019.
In the registration form (below), required fields are indicated with a red asterisk. Mistakes made in completing the form will be highlighted in red.
Once you have submitted the registration, the person or people whom you have designated to receive a confirmation email should see that email (with registration information included) within 24 hours.
Pre-Payment is not required. However, if you would like to pay now by credit card or PayPal, you will be provided with a link to the VASS online payment portal after you complete your registration.
If you do not pay by credit card or PayPal at registration, the person whom you identify below as the Billing Contact will receive an invoice for payment of the registration fee after the workshop or conference has been held.
If a purchase order number is provided on the registration form, it will be referenced on the invoice.
Notification of cancellation must be sent by email to Liza Scallet, the VASS Administrative Assistant, by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 4, 2019 . . . or you will be billed in full.
50 Kingsmill Road
For phone reservations please dial:
1 (800) 222-8733 with reference to group name: VA Assn of School Superintendents or group code: SSP.
The group rate for this event is $119.00 per night.
Reservation Deadline: It is important for all reservations be received on or before September 18, 2019 by midnight.
If you have questions or concerns, or would like to receive more information about this event, please contact the VASS Administrative Assistant, Liza Scallet.