Understanding and Critiquing PBA’s
October 18 , 2017
- Presented by:Chris Gareis and Jay McTighe
- Type of Event:Workshop
- Registration Fee:$200.00
- Registration Deadline:October 13, 2017
- Cancellation Deadline:October 13, 2017
- Venue:Chesterfield CTC Hull Conference Center
During the workshop, Jay McTighe and Chris Gareis will:
- Introduce a peer critique protocol for reviewing and evaluating PBAs and then guide participants working collaboratively in small groups through the use of the protocol as they critique sample PBA’s;
- Model a process for developing rubrics in an effort to strengthen PBAs and to help teachers make sound instructional decisions; and
- Assist and provide feedback to peer groups as they use the protocol to review and revise PBAs that they have developed in their school divisions and classrooms (or sample PBAs which will be provided to participants)
In addition, Virginia Department of Education officials will share the current status and future directions of the state’s assessment initiative including ideas on how schools and divisions will be held accountable for results.
This workshop on October 18 will build on the work by the VA DOE and other professional organizations in the following ways:
- The workshop is hands-on – participants will be collaborating in small groups, with the assistance of Jay McTighe, Chris Gareis, and selected Coaches, to review and critique sample PBAs developed by the Virginia School-University Partnership (VSUP) as well those developed in their school divisions and classrooms.
- The workshop will provide participants with a wealth of resources, including templates and sample PBAs, as well as information about additional online resources for PBAs and rubric development.
- Criteria for quality PBAs will be cross-referenced with the VDOE's guidelines for locally developed alternative assessments in order to facilitate the work within school divisions to replace identified SOL tests.
Learn more about Jay McTighe here.
Learn more about Chris Gareis here.
The workshop runs from 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Registration and breakfast begin at 8:00 a.m.
Lunch will be served at noon.
Registration fees include breakfast and lunch.
The registration deadline is Friday, October 13, 2017.
In the registration form (below), required fields are indicated with a red asterisk. Mistakes made in completing the form will be highlighted in red.
Once you have submitted the registration, the person or people whom you have designated to receive a confirmation email should see that email (with registration information included) within 24 hours.
Pre-Payment is not required. However, if you would like to pay now by credit card or PayPal, you will be provided with a link to the VASS online payment portal after you complete your registration.
If you do not pay by credit card or PayPal at registration, the person whom you identify below as the Billing Contact will receive an invoice for payment of the registration fee after the workshop or conference has been held.
If a purchase order number is provided on the registration form, it will be referenced on the invoice.
Notification of cancellation must be sent by email to Liza Scallet, the VASS Administrative Assistant, by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 13, 2017 . . . or you will be billed in full.
Chesterfield Public Schools CTC Hull Conference Center