Superintendent / Division Member
For Sitting Superintendents and Interim Superintendents2017 - 2018A superintendent's membership in VASS allows ALL members of that school division to attend VASS workshops. It also entitles representatives of the division's leadership team to attend the VASS Fall Conference or the VASS Spring Conference as superintendent designees. The designees can participate either in addition to or in place of the superintendent.Each division is assessed annual dues based on a formula determined by the school division’s size.Based on the amount of annual VASS membership dues paid, some superintendents may select one or two additional members from their staff for VASS membership. You may inquire if you are eligible to select one or two additional members by contacting VASS Executive Director Ben Kiser.VASS Superintendent Members are asked to complete a registration form so that we can have a complete database of contact information for administrative purposes.Membership Benefits
Superintendent members of VASS and their staff designees receive a variety of benefits and services annually including:
- Professional development workshops and conferences that improve their leadership skills as well as add to their knowledge about the latest issues and trends in education.
- Professional development workshops for their employees to develop their skills in leadership and instruction.
- Access to major education policy makers in the state.
- Representation in the state legislative process provided by the VASS Legislative Liaison.
- One hour of free legal consultation provided by an attorney, which can be used for contract negotiations as well as other important matters.
- Job-related consultation provided by the VASS Executive Director.
- Executive Coaching provided by trained coaches, all of whom are either current or former Virginia superintendents. This service is FREE for new superintendents or those who are new to the state thanks to the generous sponsorship of Moseley Architects and American Fidelity Assurance.
- Educational Services Reviews, which are in-depth studies and reports on the efficiency and effectiveness of division operations, programs and services. These reviews are performed for a fee.
- Eligibility to exercise one vote per division on all matters concerning the organization and its positions.
- Eligibility to compete in the Annual Virginia and National Superintendent of the Year selections (limited to Acting Superintendents).
- Access to the VASS web site's restricted members page.